|This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.|
The Emily Post Institute was created by etiquette author Emily Post in 1946. Post was an American writer and socialite who became the most famous authority on how to behave graciously in society and business. She published Etiquette in Society, in Business, in Politics, and at Home in 1922, which was wildly popular; later updated editions were published as Etiquette: The Blue Book of Social Usage. Acting as a social civility barometer, EPI elucidates new manners for today's world based on the core tenets of honesty, respect, and consideration.
Founded in 1946 by Emily Post and her son Ned, The Emily Post Institute, Inc. (or EPI for short), continues to promote good manners and civility in America and around the world. Spanning five generations, this family business maintains and evolves the standards of etiquette that Emily Post established with her seminal 1922 book. Manners change over time and vary depending on location and culture. The Emily Post Institute studies this evolution.
The organization, located in Burlington, Vermont, provides etiquette experts and advice to news outlets and other corporations. The authors at the Emily Post Institute write books and columns, conduct seminars and workshops, give speeches, and act as spokespeople for select corporations. They give media interviews each year on a variety of topics. Notable former and present staff include family members Emily Post, Elizabeth Post, Peggy Post, Peter Post, Anna Post, Lizzie Post, Cindy Post Senning, and Daniel Post Senning.
The Emily Post Institute maintains a 25 book collection, columns in Good Housekeeping, The New York Times, USA Weekend, The Boston Globe, and Brides.com, conducts seminars and trainings, and partners with businesses and non-profit organizations to bring etiquette advice to a wide audience. There are currently two generations and nine direct descendants (and their immediate family) involved with Institute.
- Peter Post is the great-grandson of Emily Post, director of The Emily Post Institute, and author of three etiquette books. Peter also leads business seminars in the United States and Europe. Since 2004 Peter Post has authored a weekly "Etiquette at Work" column in The Boston Globe.
- Peggy Post, Emily Post's great-granddaughter-in-law is an author and spokesperson for The Emily Post Institute. Peggy has authored several books, including the 16th edition of Emily Post's Etiquette, Emily Post's Entertaining and Emily Post's Weddings. Peggy also writes monthly columns for Good Housekeeping and Parents.
Along with overseeing the publication of new editions of Emily Post's Etiquette, the Institute has also published a number of specialized etiquette books.
- Emily Post's Etiquette, 18th Edition by Peggy Post, Anna Post, Lizzie Post, and Daniel Post Senning
- Emily Post's Great Get-Togethers by Anna Post and Lizzie Post
- Emily Post's Wedding Parties by Anna Post
- Do I Have to Wear White? by Anna Post
- How Do You Work This Life Thing? by Lizzie Post
- "Excuse Me, But I Was Next..." by Peggy Post
- Emily Post's Wedding Planner, 4th Edition by Peggy Post
- Emily Post's Wedding Etiquette, 5th Edition by Peggy Post
- Emily Post's Wedding Planner for Moms by Peggy Post
- Emily Post's The Etiquette Advantage in Business, 2nd Edition by Peggy Post and Peter Post
- Essential Manners for Couples by Peter Post
- Essential Manners for Men by Peter Post
- A Wedding Like No Other by Peggy Post and Peter Post
- Playing Through: A Guide to the Unwritten Rules of Golf by Peter Post
- Mr. Manners: Lessons from Obama on Civility by Anna Post
- Emily Post's The Gift of Good Manners by Peggy Post and Cindy Post Senning
- Emily Post's Teen Manners by Cindy Post Senning and Peggy Post
- Emily Post's Prom and Party Etiquette by Cindy Post Senning and Peggy Post
- Emily Post's Table Manners for Kids by Peggy Post and Cindy Post Senning
- Emily Post's The Guide to Good Manners for Kids by Peggy Post and Cindy Post Senning
- Emily's Everyday Manners by Peggy Post and Cindy Post Senning
- Emily's Christmas Gifts by Cindy Post Senning and Peggy Post
- Emily's New Friend by Cindy Post Senning and Peggy Post
- Emily's Magic Words by Cindy Post Senning and Peggy Post
- Emily's Sharing and Caring Book by Cindy Post Senning and Peggy Post
- Emily's Out and About Book by Cindy Post Senning and Peggy Post